Heaven Sent Children Adoption currently assists families with completing home studies for adoptions from non-Hague countries around the world. At Heaven Sent Children Adoption, we have been helping build families through adoption since 1991 and have assisted in the support of families after placement of more than 1,150 children. All families who are interested in adopting internationally must have a home study completed by a licensed child placing agency in the state of their residence. This is part of our role in assisting families with international adoption. Our staff is sensitive to the emotions families encounter when pursuing adoption and are eager to help you through the process.
If you are interested in learning more about international adoption contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at (931) 684-4676.
The Process for International Adoption
- Send us your completed application with your $150 application fee.
- Complete a home study. The home study is a 10-13 page written report that tells about you and your family. The document includes sections on each member of the family, marriage, medical, employment, financial, description of the home, arrest record (if any), religion, attitudes towards children, discipline, and counseling for adoption. Typically, four visits are required during the home study process and each visit is about 2-3 hours in duration.
- Decide on a country and placing agency. Your Adoption Counselor can assist you in choosing the program which best meets your criteria. Families typically make this decision while in the home study process.
- File with United States Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS). Your placing agency will assist you with completing the appropriate forms and applying after your home study is complete.
- Prepare the legal documents (dossier). The documents required by each country vary, but will include documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificate, physician’s letters, reference letters, police clearance letters, and CIS approval. These documents will be filed in court or presented to government officials in the country your child resides in. They will be used to process your adoption.
- Receive and accept a child referred to you. You will receive a referral of a child, from your placing agency, which usually includes a picture, background information and a medical report. It is always advised that families seek a medical opinion to help them make an informed decision when accepting a referral.
- Travel. You will be notified when you need to travel to the country, enter your petition to adopt in court, and bring your child home after finalization. As soon as the legal work is complete, you are the child's legal parent, and you complete your immigration visa with the U.S. Embassy in that country and return to the United States.
- Post Placement Supervision. After your child is home, we will begin the post placement visits with your family. These must be completed according to the laws of your child's country, your state, and your placing agency. The purpose of these reports is to show the country of origin that the placement of the child in your care was a good decision and to assist you with the adjustment of parenting a child from another country.
- Citizenship and Re-adoption. Upon arrival home, we recommend you begin the process to obtain your child's social security number and complete re-adoption in Tennessee to receive a Tennessee Report of Foreign Birth Certificate.
Fees to Consider
- Home Study Fee
- Interagency Coordination Fee
- Monitoring & Oversight Fee
- USCIS Application
- Placing Agency Application Fee - varies by agency
- Placing Agency Program Fee - varies by agency
- Dossier Authentication
- Fed Ex Expenses
- Passport for Child
- Child Medical Exam for Embassy Visit
- Child US Visa
- Travel, lodging, and other in-country expenses vary depending on the country
You can review our international adoption fee schedule here. The networking agency you are pursuing placement through will have their own set fees. Please contact us if you have questions regarding our fee schedule.